Sunday, August 3, 2008

What happened to family quality time in the house?

Family quality time seems to be almost obsolete. Parents and children aren't interacting as much as they use too or doing family activities. What is happening to our quality family time?

The are too many excuses being made for not doing family activities these days. Either we don't have time, we are working too much or we are too tired. Family time is important and should be a significant role in our homes. We need to take more time out to spend with family; the lack of family bonding seems to be affecting our households and children. Parents are being disrespected and children are getting neglected.

I remember the days when my family and my friends families would all sit at the dinner table together for dinner every night and breakfast every weekend morning. The times we would all watch TV together, have regular family activities on the weekends or family vacations. Do children grow up into adults that share these same values. Does this make a child have different aspects and goals in life as an adult? The lack of quality time affects the family bond.

We have to find time make the time for each other. Time passes very quickly and you can't get it back, you are stuck with I wish I did things different or the what ifs. Children grow up fast, and old folks get older. Take a few moments to spend time, talk and do things together. Sometimes it is hard to make time but give it a try you would be amazed the difference it would make. Let nothing be more important than your family.

What are your thoughts, share with Ask Y and X.

3 comments:

taya said...

I mean I agree that we need to spend time with our families, but times are hard now. Especially with the economy being the way it is. People are trying to work hard for little pay and neglect what really matters....which is family. My son is only 6 months so we spend lots of time together, but if you have an older child you need talk to them, check their home work...limit the amount of tv they watch cuz ain't nothing on but reality shows and people tryna match up with other people who are rich....they can't learn from that. Also we need to teach our kids how to be women and how to dress. I never dressed the way these girls dress when I was in high school, my mom never bought me those clothes nor did I when i bought my own clothes for school! I was too shy and didn't want that kind of attention. We also need to teach these boys how to be men. I will try my best to teach my son that.

Get Togetha said...

This is a challenging subject. I agree with Taya that financially times are different. Back in the 50, 60's and 70's ; pre -crack...a person could graduate from highschool, work at a plant, buy a house, support a wife and two kids, and retire on a pension. That is virtually non-existent today; unless you have a man that is making bank.

I'm not saying family time is impossible; cause nothing's impossible. But the likelihood of it being consistent is nil. Unless you are a Mormon or a Stay at home Wife/Mother. Few Black Women have that opportunity in our communities. Leaving very little time to come home, make dinner, without her being super exhausted.

Maglet said...

I'm a stay at home mother and our family time isn't consistent. *looks around*

I think the phrase family time is objective, too. My family time, say sitting on the couch and having a meaningful discussion with the family/sitting down to dinner and talking sans television with each other; might be different from your family time of taking a bike ride after dinner or watching your favorite family show together. It's all objective.

Some people may call family time washing dishes after a meal. LOL! Or talking while folding a load or two of laundry. Personally, our summertime family time looks like playing Wii together or watching Chowder together.

We always interact with each other and the lines of communication are always open so to set aside this family time thing... it's kind of already in effect, know what I mean? It's always family time.

I DO think there are too many instances where "family time" is lacking. Unsupervised, ill-mannered, shameless children are EVERYWHERE! It's really sad that there is so much that can be done to correct that, but no volunteers. Remember when kids had SOME shame? Not anymore...